Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Oh the Beauty of the Earth

I noticed last night that it's been a long while since I had a new blog post.  I've sat down at the computer many times over the last few weeks, intending to blog, but haven't managed till now.  May is usally a busy month for me because it's the end of the school year and there are band concerts to get ready for and year end tests and such. This year it's been busyness plus loads of worry for my mom and stepdad, who spent the last 4 months in various hospitals in Las Vegas, struggling to fight off one infection after another after his heart surgery.  Last Friday, Harry lost his struggle and passed away. 

It's been a tough week.  But, it has been a time of consolation and healing too.  This last weekend I spent most of my time getting my yard and garden in shape for a jazz band concert  scheduled to be held on my back deck last night (the concert had to be moved because of rain but that's not important).  Anyway, as I was working in the warm sunshine, pulling weeds and planting beautiful, colorful flowers and seeing the beauty of the flowers and trees already there, I was filled with such peace and joy.  God's creation is so beautiful and I am so thankful for having eyes to see all the colors of the foliage and the flowers, and ears to hear the birds chirping and the sigh of the wind through the trees. 

Here are a few of the things that bring me joy in my back yard.

My new peppermint and spearmint container garden

Blue bottles salvaged from the recycling center

One of my rose bushes in full bloom

Another rose bush

A lilac in bloom

This year's big outdoor project--finishing my garden shed and finishing the landscaping around it and around the stream and pond. 


I might try to post one more time this week but then I'll be gone for a week or two as I stay with my mom and help her out.  She'll be home from Las Vegas this weekend and I'll be really glad to be able to give her lots of hugs and just take care of her for awhile.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

You always have the best containers for your plants!!! I'm so jealous. Love the blue bottles.

Vonnie said...

Sweet post my dear. Gods hugs us close in the most beautiful ways.

Tink said...

It is so wonderful how many ways God's beauty offers us healing rain. You have almost inspired me to go outside and engage my neglected gardens...but wait, it is winter-like out today...nah. I will stay inside instead. ;) Love you my friend!