Saturday, November 12, 2011

One Quilt Project Finished (Finally) and Another Ready to Start

I had a creative breakthrough the other day and was finally able to finish a small wall quilt I've been making for my sister.  The center has been finished for at least a year but I got stuck on what I wanted to do for a border.  I got an idea for the border the other day and was able to get it all finished in time to give it to my sister tonight when she was in town for her Gaelic lesson.  One project checked off the list.  :)


Now I can get started on making the quilt I promised Alex so he has at least one real blanket for his bed.  :)

Here's the design I came up with.  It's based loosely on a quilt I found on this site.

I really, really like the quilts she makes and she even uses the quilt as you go method that I've been dying to try so I think this is going to be quite a fun project!  So far I've dyed the batting black so it won't show when I quilt and I've washed half the fabric.  I have high hopes that I might get started on the first block this weekend!

Friday, November 11, 2011

New Paintings...

And I'm only a few days later than I said I'd be.  :)  I was hoping to find time to finish the 2nd and 3rd paintings in a series that I'm doing in acrylic so I could post them too, but I haven't gotten to them yet...

Enjoy.  :)

I have another blog post all ready to go about quilt projects I've finally finished (yay!  right, Gayle?) and ones I'm about to start so if you're interested, check back tomorrow.  :)

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Making Stuff...Or What to Do When Your Washing Machine Breaks

Actually, I started this project before the washer broke but it's been a good stress reliever and distraction when I've gotten sick of trying to research how to repair it or replace it.  Especially since the projects I had planned to work on were put on hold because of not having a washing machine.  :)

Last week when I went to my painting class, I noticed a couple of people who had these neat paint brush holders that stand up when you unfold them.  I really liked them but they're only available in black and black is way to boring for me so I decided to try to make one that's more colorful.  It took a  little while to figure out how to design and sew it but over the course of the week I came up with a good plan for it and I finished it in time to take it to painting class tonight.

Here is the holder all folded up and ready to go.

Here is a picure of the inside.

Here it is when the top is folded back so it stands up.

I also made a zippered bag out of the black and white fabric to hold other miscellaneous painting stuff so, along with my big red canvas bag that holds all my stuff, I'm quite the coordinated painter these days.  :) 

I should have another post by tomorrow night of some new paintings.  I'm too tired tonight to set up the camera and tripod.  :)