Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grumpy Quilter

Well, I finally got Al's quilt machine quilted!  I started by making the back on Monday.  I used almost all the extra scraps I had left from piecing the top so that made me really happy--no scraps to have to put back into my fabric drawers.  :)  Add to that a couple of other fun fabrics I found and I had a really cute quilt back.

I decided to spray baste it instead of pinning it because I didn't want to work that hard, which was fine except I ran out of spray adhesive when I was almost done so I had to get out of my pajamas and go into town to get some more spray.  So much for trying to be lazy, huh?

So close and yet so far.  :)

Once I got everything sandwiched and rolled up I set it aside until today when I knew I'd have a little bit of time to get some quilting done. I wanted to figure out a cooler quilting pattern than stipple stitch so I spent some time this morning drawing out some ideas on scratch paper. I thought I had a really cool pattern but when I finished my first row of quilting, it looked really bad so I spent about 45 minutes ripping  it out.  A quick trip back to the drawing pad and I had another idea for a quilt pattern and I got back to the sewing machine to get the thing quilted.
All I have to say about that is I need a different set-up if I'm gonna quilt bigger quilts.  I even moved my machine to the dining room table and it was a miserable experience.  My shoulders are still burning and the quilting isn't very pretty.  I think the worst part is that I really enjoy the whole process of machine quilting when I quilt small quilts and getting so frustrated today with something I normally love has made me twice as grumpy.  It probably didn't help that the thread gremlins were on overtime today and I kept either breaking the top thread or having the bobbin thread run out at just the wrong time.'s finished and that's what counts the most.  

It's a little hard to see the quilting pattern but it's a combination of straight lines and leaves.

Tomorrow when I get home from band I'll work on getting the binding machine stitched on and then I'll pack it up to take to the beach next week to do the hand sewing part.  And then I can give it to my sweetie so he can use it before it gets warm.  The very thought of it finished is enough to make me un-grumpy!  Well, that and hot chocolate and a book tonight. :)


Tink said...

Those leaves are so great...can't wait to see it in person and determine how you kept a continuous line going and for how long.

It is a very pretty quilt MamaMama!

Cindy said...

Gosh....your post makes it sound like you finished the machine quilting in ONE day. Did you???? If so, then I am even more impressed than I already am. :)
Way to go on the accomplishment. Oh and I love the pieced back too. I'm always too lazy for that but I do love them.

Vonnie said...

So sorry things didn't go smoothly. It sucks when we hate the process. Wishing I could blink you a better setup.