Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Photo Play

My newest obsession is film photography.  My oldest son Alex got an old Minolta film camera last summer and the first time he let me take a picture with it, I fell in love.  I'd never taken a photo with an SLR before and when I focused the lens there was a literal zing in my heart.  Since then, I've gotten my own old Minolta SRT 101 and have been reading and trying to learn about photography and taking pictures when I get the chance.  I don't think I've taken any awesome shots yet but I've been having a blast. 

For Christmas Alex got me a book on photo filters that includes a section on using Photoshop so tonight I decided to play around and see what I could come up with.

This is the original shot I took when we went to the mountains to get our Christmas tree.

Minolta SRT 101; 28mm lens; Lomography Fine Color 100 film


The first thing I did was see what it would look like as a black and white photo.  I like it this way because you see so much more texture in the tree bark and the soil.

 Then I decided I'd try to turn it into a black and white infrared photo.  It totally transforms the picture into something dreamy and almost otherworldly. I think I like this version the best. 


I'm  hoping that soon I'll get around to setting up a flickr account and then I can post more of the stuff I've shot, ya know, just in case anyone might want to look at it.  :)

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh you know we always want to see!

The third shot looks like a pic from a scary sci-fi movie. :)

Unknown said...

Love the photo. It has a very distinctly filmic look. The inferred correction you did looks nice too. It definitely looks real rather than just photoshoped. Glad you're enjoying the book.
-Alex

Vonnie said...

Wow! The infrared is amazing. Great, something else you have enticed me to try;)

Unknown said...

You are way too much fun to watch in blogville my friend.